Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sat Kriya

I would like someone to write a book on Sat Kriya. I was saying that to my boyfriend Patrick the other day and he said, "umm what about you? " I saw it then in a flash...in depth instructions on the technique, interviews with others on their experiences with this deeply transformational tool, and my own story. I figured I should probably start writing and sharing about it first on here.

First of all, an overview for those of you not familiar with this very powerful Kundalini yoga kriya-
From the KY teachers training manual:

"Sat Kriya is essential to the practice of Kundalini Yoga. It is one of the few exercises that is a complete action in itself. It is a kriya: an action or series of actions that completes a process and has a predictable outcome. Most kriyas consist of a series of exercises that synergize. Sat Kriya can stand alone like a precious gem. Any serious student should master this kriya."

Sat Kriya works to balance the energies of the lower triangle of Chakra's - the 1st 2nd and 3rd, tones the nervous system, strengthens and balances the sexual system, and is a direct stimulant to the kundalini energy stored near the 3rd chakra. It also clears out fear, heals digestive issues, anger and neurosis, and more, much more...

I began my Sat Kriya journey last december after being inspired by my friend (now my dear boyfriend) Patrick Lacho. He told me that he did 31 min of Sat Kriya every day for about 6 months, and that it was amazingly transformational. I never liked doing it in class, but something in me knew that i should start doing it every day anyway. I started with 3 minutes a day, and gradually worked my way up with the time. In the beginning I could hardly imagine doing more than 3 minutes, but i graduated to 11 minutes eventually.. The energy you feel running through your body is so intense, and the more you do, the more you feel it flow through. Once I was able to do 11 minutes a day in a row, I hung there for a while, before jumping to 15, and so on... Its been interesting to observe the effects of this kriya within myself as I go along increasing the times. I am now at 62 minutes a day , and its been quite a ride so far. In later posts I will discuss more in depth about how to do Sat Kriya, why you should try it, and my own process as I go along this path.

I look fwd to sharing more with you soon.
xo
Jamila

2 comments:

Catchudoine said...

any more on that? what does the ride feel like? I'm just starting out -- peaking at 7 minutes.. so far all I have to show for it is sore feet and shoulders... maybe some fatigue...

Jamila Starwater Tazewell said...

I can certainly relate to the sore feet and shoulders. That gets less noticeable as you keep going. It was almost unbearable at first, the numbness that would occur in the extremities...
As for my experiences....theres too much to write here.. email me at faucetlover@yahoo.com and I'd be happy to share more that way...
Also, as I go along I definately plan on posting more on the subtleties of the practice, so stay tuned!
xox
Jamila