Saturday, February 21, 2009

Moments of Grace

My aunt Grace is an amazing lady with a blog called Moments of Grace. The other day she wrote a post called " Finding Flowers in the Weeds". I asked her if i could re-post it here because I found it to be really a great idea. I am going to print these questions out and start asking myself these questions more often.
Here it is:

"I don't know about you, but I find that, unless a particular day contained something special or spectacular, most of my days fade away into oblivion in my mind after nightfall. All lessons, all experiences just sort of turn to mush and I wake up to the next day. If a day has been particularly difficult or even just blah, I will go to bed thinking of it in those terms.

The other night I suddenly realized this was happening and decided to come up with some questions to ask myself at night before bedtime. They are designed to help me see the value each day holds, especially if the day has been hard. Below are my questions, but I urge you to make up some of your own, questions that fit your priorities and your life. Whether it is one or two questions, or several, don't let another day slip away from you without saluting the glory buried in the mundane.

1. What were 7 of the best things about today, large or small? (It's easy to pick out 1 or 2 good things, but you've really got to stretch to get 7. And they will be there, I promise you, even if you just count the awful things that DIDN'T happen to you! That's what this question is designed to do, make me stretch to see every last bit of beauty. If I can come up with more, so much the better.)

2. What did I do today that I feel good about? (Maybe it's not snapping at someone who irritated me, maybe it's standing up for myself.)

3. What were some good connections I made today? (It doesn't have to be with the CEO, it might just be the cop you smiled at.)

4. What new or growing awarenesses did I have?

5. What would I do differently if I had to do it over? (This one might help you in the future.)

6. What service, large or small, did I offer to a person, an animal, or a larger group? (Everything from petting a dog to making a small donation in the tip jar to speaking to someone in passing counts.)

7. How am I different and better today than I was yesterday?

When each day is kind of a blur of a million different events, these questions bring everything into sharp focus. I can almost guarantee you that any day, no matter how difficult, will seem more beautiful through these lenses. "

1 comment:

kundalink said...

i think you have something there! Your blog is really great, Jamila and I think if we all asked ourselves those questions, it would propel us quickly into some major shifts in consciousness! I thank you for your comments about my site and please link me. I'm new to this and will set up finally my link page and link your 11:11 as well as your blog to it. a convoluted sentence but you know what i mean!!!!!!! lots of love and i will continue to read you....